Pages

Friday, August 21, 2015

Count Down and an Introduction to the Writing Center

I am counting down the days now for class to begin. As you folks were moving into your new dorm rooms Thursday, I was in my office getting my laptop connected to the university Internet. I am so excited to be returning to the classroom and working with you. For the last two years, I have been volunteering in the Writing Center as a tutor as a way to keep in touch with the job that I loved so much and the students that I enjoyed helping.

First, your Blackboard Course is now open for you to print a PDF of your syllabus to bring to class on Tuesday. You can also view your syllabus here.


Over the years as a teacher, I worked to help students improve their writing skills, especially the students who had a hard time writing. As a Writing Center tutor, I strengthened my own ability to help students trouble shoot their writing. One the most important lessons that I try to impart on my Writing  Center clients is to help them learn what specific writing problems that they continue to struggle with and then to give them the tools to overcome those writing issues.


Sometimes classroom instruction just is not enough to give students a strong start on their writing assignment and you may feel these same frustrations such as, "Where do I start?" or "What should I write about?" You are always welcome to come see me in my office during my limited office hours. So if I am not available, schedule an appointment in the Writing Center. Here are some important things to know about the Writing Center:

Location: Ross 1230
Hours: M-F 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
Phone: 351-2056
Making an Appointment: Call, email, or stop the Writing Center. Click on the handy link here in the left menu for a quick link to the Writing Center
Tutors: English faculty and TAs (Teaching Assistants).
Services: To assist clients with any writing project assignment that they need help with, including letters of application, essays, dissertations, and project reports. The tutors' main purpose is to actually teach the clients how to trouble shot, edit, and proofread their own work so that eventually they won't need our services. The tutors won't edit or proofread, but they will help clients understand their writing problems and offer tools and strategies to improve their writing.

I highly encourage you to take advantage of the Writing Center's services. Please note, however, that I am not able to tutor my own students. I will be in the Writing Center on Fridays from 10-12, so if you need to talk to me, email me so that I can be available in my office before and after my tutoring.

Make sure to join the blog so that you can get the Early Bird 3 points before class meets Tuesday. Enter your university email in the box to left and then confirm your subscription in the email that Blogger will send to you.


Get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, avoid junk food, and get ready to hit the books. See you Tuesday.





No comments:

Post a Comment